Monday, April 20, 2009

Subtracting And Adding To Our Stash

Kid sister Ednil woke up and her phone was missing on Saturday morning. On Sunday, we discovered that Epril's camera was missing. We have a thief in the house.

Actually, simple deductory logic brought me instantly to the culprit. However, as nobody in Epril's family has ever stolen anything in their lives, Epril is just insisting it was a ghost that stole the stuff. I get the picture: Let it slide. Ednil's phone was barely worth 200 pisos, and in a way, I'm glad to be rid of that camera as it was costing me almost $20 per month in AA batteries. Let it slide.

We got a new set of purchases from America today: Six walkie talkies for the family. (Let's hope that they don't... no... let it slide.) We spend so much money on text messages because this house is so convoluted you can't shout from one place to another and be heard, and it's easier to text than navigate up and down. Also, with MaNila being nearby, she is always texting back and forth as well... so I decided Walkie Talkies for everyone. Their theoretical distance is 30 miles, so they should reach 20 miles across the bay to Cagayan De Oro from my jungle perch. My mother gets the appropriate thanks for putting some money in my PayPal account for the purpose of buying those walkie talkies. Three cheers for mom.

We also got Blu Ray discs for Iron Man and Batman The Dark Knight. I considered The Dark Knight to be one of those rare movies I would buy on Blu Ray because I thought it was a special, landmark movie. Epril wanted Iron Man. I also got "Cirque de Soleil, Corteo" on Blu Ray but we haven't watched it yet. I got the Sony Playstation 3 game "Heavenly Sword" for myself and "Uncharted: Drakes Fortune" for Epril. Both games are really gorgeous to look at... although Heavenly Sword is the best. I've never seen WII or XBox 360 gameplay, but the PS3 is such a major leap forward from its predecessor, it's simply awe-inspiring to me. (I'll consider video games to have truly arrived when they combine the go-anywhere expansiveness of World of Warcraft with the graphic quality of Heavenly Sword.)

It rained like a mo-fo today. The rooftop got so flooded that it threatened to crest 3-cm threshold up to my office entryway. Fortunately, Epril, Ednil, and Susan were in the mood for some wet frolicking and came to the rescue with brooms and unclogged the deck drains, and swept the water off the roof while getting soaking wet and sliding around on the wet tiles. Oh: I will add that in that huge downpour the cellular internet only went out once for about 10 seconds. The SmartBro internet is the most consistent and fastest internet I've had since moving to Asia... for $20 per month.

I watched the biography of Chiang Kai-Shek on The History Channel tonight. I loves me some History Channel.

No comments: