Monday, January 26, 2009

Daily Report #1797 (And Lovin' It)

Up at the usual time. Started work at the usual time. Ate lunch at the usual time (Susan cooked pork with asparagus). Had the usual afternoon of work. Watched Discovery Travel and Living for a while before going to bed.

It's times like today where I remind myself that this boring and uneventful day — while relatively uncommon for me — is the day that most folks back in America anticipate for the majority of mornings that they get out of bed. Work, eat, TV, sleep. Hell: Every day I wake up halfway around the world surrounded by a different culture, a different language, and an altogether different way of living life, I remind myself... or at least I should remind myself... how lucky I am to be one of the tiny percentage of Americans who have the opportunity to live permanently in a foreign country... and more importantly (and luckily) in a foreign country of my own choosing (instead of Iraq or something).

So, at those times where I find my job a little bit too tedious, my finances a little too impecunious, my meals a little too humble, or my days a little too ordinary, I can remember that there are 300 million people back where I come from thinking the same thing about their lives... only much more often, and with much less hope that tomorrow will offer better opportunities for excitement and delight.

This is the 1,797th day in my life that nothing particularly interesting happened... and that's a better ratio than most people could ever hope to claim.

Life is good.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jil

Just wanted to say I really like reading your blog..thanks for the time and effort you put into it.

kind regards

Cookie

Jil Wrinkle said...

Thanks for reading Cookie.

Anonymous said...

he only does it to stay in his mothers will

you are a loser with no money and an ugly wife and no freinds


how lucky u r to live away from white people who would mock you and bully u

Jil Wrinkle said...

Heheh. Anon: You're like Pavlov's dog man. I ring the bell, and you come running. I've literally been sitting here for 2 hours waiting for your comment. I'm surprised it took that long really.

Talk about a sad life: I was thinking of you specifically when I wrote this post. Read it again, and see if I'm joking. Sitting around reading blogs of people you purport to loathe. Heh.

Whee! I love it when the trolls come out when I order them to. It amazes me that it works literally 100% of the time.

I think they know it makes me happy, and they do it to please me.

Steve Loeding said...

Jil - you are a lucky guy to be living abroad. Wish I could say the same - but having a gov't job means staying here in the USA for a dozen more years - then it's a good pension and hello Thailand (assuming that it stays the same - and who the hell knows about that)

Anonymous said...

i enjoy reading your blog --but isn't there a way that you can block the moron who posts negative things. it appears that it is a jealous stalker.

Jil Wrinkle said...

Anon,

Thanks for commenting. As you probably noticed, I do screen comments before publishing them. Most of the stuff from my trolls I don't post, primarily because they are far too curse-word-filled, mean-spirited, and would probably scare my mother.

But sometimes I post the less offensive ones: I like my trolls; they stroke my ego. I enjoy the fact that there are people who are so jealous of me that it actually makes them angry. If I didn't ever publish trolls' comments, they would eventually stop writing, and I wouldn't get to enjoy their comments and make fun of them anymore.

Like I said here: Sometimes — like in this post — I actually taunt the trolls to goad them into posting stuff (usually by writing about how I'm smart or happy). They always fall for it. It's a simple and weird pleasure, but knowing that there are people out there whom I can make angry by writing positive things about myself is simply a lot of fun.

Unknown said...

Damn straight!