Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Daily Report: Boring Dialectic About Mystery Fat

I've gained 10 pounds since I got back to America. I'm trying to figure out what the culprit is.

In the morning I used to have 2 packets of Nestlé 4-in-1 (about 120 calories), and now I have a mug of coffee with sweet-and-low and about 4 tablespoons of sugar-free Coffee Mate (60 calories).

For lunch, I used to have a meat-with-rice dish of some sort (let's say 500 calories). Now I have a fruit smoothie (500 calories).

For dinner, I used to have something from the lechon stand... either pork or chicken (about 800 calories) plus a bottle of San Miguel Pilsen (450 calories). Now I have whatever my mother cooks (about 800 calories) and a snack during work (250 calories or less). No beer or drinks anymore, except once or twice a week.

Basically, I'm not eating more now than I was in The Philippines. I'm not moving around a whole lot less either: I'm going to the pool every couple of days, moving around the house about as much as I used to (though no stair climbs a couple of times a day). I drink only diet soda now, whereas I used to sip iced tea.

Oh... I know what it would be: Cocktail hour. That damnable microwaved popcorn that I eat several handfuls of every day. I'll bet that's doing it; that's where I'm going over. It's the fault of my sneaky parents and their socializing that is fattening me up.

I really should start counting calories: I'm sure I'm missing other stuff that I'm eating and not counting. God, that sounds a bit effete though, counting calories: A manly-man should just eat one less serving of bar-be-que, drink light beer, and go out and chop wood to stay thin, right?

3 comments:

BANGKOK BENNY said...

if you are over forty,no matter,you just get FAT.Counting calories is for chicks(and girly-type men).If you are counting going up and down stairs as some sort of exercise you are OLD and if you are under fifty will not make it to the nursing home,which is probably a good thing.if you chop down a tree in the USA you will be arrested if someone sees you do it(they will automatically rat you out!).Try drinking clean,cold water.

Issarat said...

It is 2 main things that is making you gain weight:
Sugar- in the USA vs other countries; corn is subsidized; this translates into corn products being used in many foods. This translates into HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP added to many of your foods. This has shown to cause weight gain 3 to 10 times the amount as normal cane sugar.

The other culprit is indeed; calories. It is not 'girly' to count calories; it sure beats waking up one day with sternal chest pain at 43 years old and thinking- where did I go wrong?

Jil Wrinkle said...

One thing I know I don't take in a lot of is sugar of any kind. For starters, sweet is not my favorite taste, and second I stick with the sugar-free varieties of stuff whenever I have the option available.