Saturday, April 17, 2010

Teabaggers In Pattaya?

I imagine that more than a couple of Americans in Pattaya I know wound up with a couple of bottles of Chang in their tax refund. But what Wat this guy was thinking of, I'm not sure.

I read a report that said that Teabaggers (that's the Teabaggers who protest having to pay the lowest taxes in 60 years, not the teabaggers who suck on... oh never mind) are more educated than the average American. As I've said before, I believe that Americans are the dumbest educated people on this planet... so I won't argue with that assessment.

Andrew Sullivan sums up Teabaggers very nicely:
And this is why, despite my own deep suspicion of big government, I remain unmoved by the tea-partiers. Their partisanship and cultural hostility to Obama are far more intense, it seems to me, than their genuine proposals to reduce spending and taxation. And this is largely because they have no genuine proposals to reduce spending and taxation. They seem very protective of Medicare and Social Security — and their older age bracket underlines this. They also seem primed for maximal neo-imperial reach, backing the nation-building efforts in Afghanistan and Iraq, favoring war against Iran, etc. ...

So they are truly not serious in policy terms, and it behooves the small government right to grapple with this honestly. They both support lower taxation and yet bemoan the fact that so many Americans do not pay any income tax. They want to cut spending on trivial matters while enabling the entitlement and defense behemoths to go on gobbling up Americans' wealth. And that lack of seriousness is complemented by a near-fanatical cultural alienation from the modern world.
mi·sol·o·gy noun: Hatred of reason, argument, or enlightenment.

No comments: