Sunday, March 21, 2010

Daily Report: Chance Encounters


Grandma Nesing, her husband and
her best friend.
Today, I went to Grandma Nesing's birthday party at Faustina Pool Resort, which is also where I had my 40th birthday party. Nesing is the grandmother of Epril's best friend, Fatima. She's a lovely lady, very friendly, and was keen on inviting me to her party.

While at the party, I also met a very interesting fellow, Father Rode ("roadie"), a priest whose family owns the nearby Twin Hearts pool resort. He is on sabbatical from The Vatican, and has a doctorate in Theology, plus degrees from local Xavier and New York University.

He was very excited about the fact that I sell pizzas, and is going to get Twin Hearts to heavily promote my restaurant. He is putting signs up in all 40 cottages at Twin Hearts advertising our pizzas.

I had been reading last night about The Reformation, so it was pure luck that I still had fresh in my memory of an obscure kernel of doctorate-level theological knowledge that I was able to use to crack up Father Rode (and impress him immensely): When replying to his stated assertion that we must have been fated to meet, I stated, "Wow, a Catholic priest who sides with Calvin on predestination. I guess after a stint at NYU, even Zwingli's thoughts on transubstantiation might seem reasonable to you."

Yes, I know: Lead balloon for the rest of you. Trust me, if you're a Catholic priest who studied theology at NYU... hearing that from some random schmoe in the middle of the jungle... it's piss-your-pants funny.

Anyway...

When I take Tyson for a walk, everywhere I go, people shout, "Tyson!" I was beginning to suspect that the people had actually mistakenly started to believe that MY name is Tyson. I told Epril my thoughts, and she said, "No, they are just nervous to say hello to you, so they say hello to Tyson instead." Well, I had my doubts regardless.

Today, Epril and I were walking back from the internet café, where we had been printing out the signs to give to Twin Hearts when some guy walked by in the other direction and shouted, "Tyson!" And no, Tyson was not with us.

No comments: