Monday, November 9, 2009

Daily Report: The Most Painful Thing

You know how some medicine instructions tell you to take the pills with food? I've never adhered to those instructions seriously before (usually because I always have at least something in my stomach when taking medicine — if only a large mug of coffee and milk). Now I've learned my lesson... the hard way.

I went to bed last night with an empty stomach. Before going to sleep, I took my Zyban (anti-smoking, good-sleep, happy-morning pill) and a Tramadol (for the remnant of my sore rib). Three hours later, I woke up and I felt really queasy and chilled. I ran to the bathroom and...

In my stomach was 3 things: The exceedingly harsh chemicals that make up Zyban and Tramadol, a bunch of stomach acid, and about a pint of saliva. I may not have swallowed drain cleaner at any point, but by God and without exaggeration, that's what came up. It burned like you can't imagine. Oh the agony. I had Epril bring me water, and then when that did nothing, bring me milk... which helped a little.

Now I've got a fantastically bad sore throat, and it feels like my uvula is ready to fall off and the way it's flopping around makes me talk funny. I've got a pile of throat lozenges and chewable antacids to help dull the pain.

I've learned my lesson: I will never ever take medicine on an empty stomach again.

3 comments:

Mom said...

Are you sure that's the reason for it all?

Jil Wrinkle said...

Yes... generally sure. I used to occasionally get a similar-but-not-as-severe feeling in my stomach some mornings after taking the medicine, but I never realized what it was. It was only when it hit me full-force that I understood what it was.

Anonymous said...

Try a couple spoonful of honey. It will coat your throat and neutralize the stomach acid. Feel better!