Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Two Tourists Who Must Hate Thailand About Now

Next time come to The Philippines?

A British man is facing 2 years in a Thai jail after being "rude" to Thai immigration officials on his way out of Thailand. I suppose when you are expecting to get on your plane back home, and instead are arrested on the suspicion of having a forged passport (it wasn't), rudeness might creep into the picture. But, of course it is all the Thai authorities have to charge the guy with.

An Australian woman is facing 5 years in a Thai jail after stealing a coaster from a bar in Phuket. Again, when confronted by police and taken into custody, rudeness crept into the picture. The bar owner of course wasn't interested in pressing charges, but again, rudeness is all the Thai authorities are focusing on now.

I really must say that with the world's economic problems, Thailand's recent political riots and coups, the 2-week sit in and closure of the Bangkok airport, and now tourists getting thrown in jail for being rude... that there remains even a single tourist willing to visit Thailand is amazing in and of itself.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

did you know the bar we she apparently took the coaster from was an aussie bar. how bloody rude i say.... well it definately will make aussies think twice before going to phuket, they will now instead go to bali...

Dtalok said...

Hi Jil, First let me say I have enjoyed your blog ever since you were in pattaya. I have spent a lot of time in thailand the last five years. But between getting stranded in japan when they closed the airport, changing the visa rules in the middle of the tourist season, the "love money hate foreigners " attitude, I have had enough of their bullshit. Trivial, but the last straw was a cute little flower seller girl calling me "foreign bird shit" and the Thais laughing because they didn't know I understand their jibber jabber. Screw them they won't get any more of my money. I will be going to the Phillipines for four or five months this year (first time too) If I see you out in CDO , hope you won't mind if I say hello!

Jil Wrinkle said...

CDO is considered by all expatriates in The Philippines to have the closest-knit and most active expatriate community.

The more the merrier. Hope to see you soon.

Anonymous said...

what a bunch of bunk. The Philippines is far, far worse on arresting and deporting people for silly national pride issues. I would love nothing more than every country to treat its goldiggers, I mean filipino immigrants, to the same standards their own people treat others. They are quick to call others racists and claim alignment with the homeland - while all the time being the most racists and arrogant uneducated people around. They go absolutely nuts over claiming the Philippines but do everything they can to get away.

"CDO is considered by all expatriates in The Philippines to have the closest-knit and most active expatriate community."

you might want to check that thought at the door because the rest of us only know that area for one thing, expats paying off locals.

Jil Wrinkle said...

Anon,

Provide at least one single link to an example of The Philippines deporting somebody for "silly national pride issues". Provide at least one single link to an example of a CDO expat paying off the locals.

Otherwise, as per usual, until you do, my readers and I know: It's nothing but bullshit. (An apology for calling you on your bullshit has been prepared and will be given once those links are posted, naturally.)

Anonymous said...

True, the rudeness in Thailand has become much more apparant over the past 5 years BUT it is mostly in the tourist areas and face it; the quality of tourist that you may see in BKK or Pattaya is lower than average and sometimes downright abhorant.
But the visa 'laws' and other hassles make life for expatriates fairly challenging for sure.
I can tell you that IF I would have hooked up with my friends cousin (who is a model in Manila) while I was in Cebu (he totally cock-blocked me); I would have been to the Phillipines at least 6 month out of the year instead of Thailand.
So, until I meet a lovely Pinoy honey...I will stay in the land of fake smiles.