Thursday, May 7, 2009

Daily Report: Home Alone

Epril is out of town for 2 days. It's essentially the first time since September 28, 2007, that we've been apart from each other... aside from the occasional 10-hour overnight visit that Epril would do at her parents house when we were living in Camilla Homes.

She has gone to Osamis City for Honey Maeh's birthday party.

Last night, I chatted with her online by Yahoo Messenger. She was on webcam, which took me back to the time before I had met Epril in person, when we chatted online, first getting to know each other. It was a refreshing perspective, and made me miss her.

Epril left me with 2 babysitters however: Older sister Susan and best friend Fatima. They are keeping me company. Actually they are just watching the house and cooking for me. (Today was my favorite: Sweet and sour chicken.)

I watched one of my favorite shows, "No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain" on Discovery Travel & Living. If you've never seen it, check it out: It's a 1-hour program about a guy (retired chef) who goes to different cities around the world and samples the best food that they have to offer, and some culture and tourist attractions on the side. I like Anthony Bourdain because he is city-slicker cool (in New York City, he'd be from Tribeca), isn't afraid to smoke or get drunk in the course of filming, isn't afraid to be a prick... or an idiot... or a fool when the time is right, and all at the same time comes across as a guy you really would love to hang out with.

And, most importantly, he puts together a great show. Usually the show has an underlying tenor or running gag used to carry the show along. Last night, the underlying theme was Vancouver's constant rain. Bourdain decided to bring his new producer, a cute little Asian girl named Nari, out in front of the camera to be his sidekick for the show and then proceeded to (pretend to, obviously) make her life miserable for her having scheduled a trip to Vancouver at the height of rainy season.

Here is part 1 of 5 of the Vancouver show. (Don't know if it will be up forever... but the entire hour is up on YouTube now.) After watching, you'll be able to click your way through to the next 4 episodes, or click on 2, 3, 4, and 5, if you want to skip ahead. (Reader TMF is from Vancouver, and I'm sure will enjoy this immensely.)

1 comment:

TheMindFantastic said...

And I did, it made Vancouver even cooler than I think it is. Granted I've never had the finances to string together to try any of the four sit down places he went to in that episode. But I am a fan of Japadog! Which is less than 5 blocks from where I am living at the moment.