Sunday, March 1, 2009

Daily Report: Life In Boxes

We're out of the old house, but we're into the new house in location only: Nothing is unpacked / settled / established yet.


Our rooftop terrace with the bamboo
furniture we purchased. We're going
to put a jungle's worth of tropical
bushes and flowers in pots up here to
give the place more of a garden feel.
I bought a 4 x 4 meter pavilion tent to put up on the roof, which should have fit. Unfortunately, the 4 meter measurement is at the "roof line", while the 4 legs each splay outwards by about 6 or 8 inches, making my floor-based measurements off by about a foot. Fortunately, the speedy employment of a welder to chop some width off the crossmembers fixed that problem.


My new electric scooter. About 40
cents of charge will give 30 miles.
I made my official Jil Impulse Purchase (JIP) of 2009: An electric scooter. I'm making payments on it for the next 6 months, purchased from a lawyer friend of mine who has been selling them here in Cagayan De Oro. By my most conservative calculations, the bike gets the equivalent of 200 miles per gallon (based on a function of "cents per mile"). It is limited to only about 15 miles round trip... 30 miles total for 2 passengers, but is fantastic for getting around Jasaan and the immediate vicinity. The bike is totally silent in operation, and that fact has garnered it more attention from the locals than anything else I've ever seen.

Less than 24 hours after having the scooter delivered, little Doreen knocked it over while climbing on it, snapping off the rear view mirror — after being told 3 times prior not to climb on it — and earning herself her first official Jil Impulse Spanking (JIS) of 2009.

Epril and I went to Kingston Lodge for lunch today (just for a change). We rode halfway with our landlord, Jams, and we rode the second half with Andy and Cynthia.

Along the way there, we stopped and looked at the couch and bed being made. Contrary to my fears, they both look fantastic. I think the knowledge that adding/subtracting from my design meant a certain do-over got the furniture maker in the spirit of following my drawings precisely. The headboard on the bed is still being carved by the local artisan and it's a mystery how that will turn out... but I'm now optimistic. The couch should be delivered on Monday or Tuesday. The bed has no estimated date of arrival yet.

After Kingston Lodge, we went with Andy and Cynthia to SM to do some shopping. We bought curtains for the windows (all 7 of them) in the master bedroom and master bathroom ($100), and also stocked up on diet root beer, diet Cali (a pineapple soda), tomato juice, apple juice, et cetera, et cetera for the next 2 weeks ($100), and then Andy and Cynthia gave us a ride back to Jasaan with our 80 pounds of groceries. Then we all sat up on the terrace and drank iced tea and enjoyed the view.

The satellite television was hooked up today as well. I've got The History Channel back, much to my delight. The picture/reception is not as good as it was with the local cable company (about 80% as good, I'd say), and there are only about 10 channels that I watch (out of 38) versus about 15 channels (out of 70) from before. But, it's the only option I have out here, and overall I'm satisfied with it. Also, unlike the local cable, the satellite does have the program guide, so that you can look at what's on and what will be on for each channel in an on-screen menu.

Well anyway, I'm in my new office. This is the eighth view I've had since moving to Asia 7 years ago, and I must say that it is by far one of the best. There is just so much green in front of me... and people down below always coming and going. There is a nice breeze as well. (I tried to stitch a panorama photo together, with the not-so-good results as seen below. They give one an okay impression of the view from my new office.) The local fire department just drove by below my window, sirens blaring, and all the firemen on their scooters beeping their horns. A big banner on the pumper truck proclaimed March to be "Fire Prevention Month".


Anyway, as I said, the living room and bedroom and TV room are still a shambles, filled with boxes, and waiting for furniture. As each of those gets fitted out and set up, I'll put up pictures of them as well.

6 comments:

Russ Thorne said...

just love the roof top office, good find. be nice to find it on google earth....

Jil Wrinkle said...

For missle targeting purposes:

8° 39' 13.00" N
124° 45' 16.22" E

Russ Thorne said...

locked in ,,, but fresh out of missels. looks like a nice area how is the internet

Jil Wrinkle said...

I just checked again, and the speed of the cellular internet network is 100% constant at about 375 Kbps both up and down.

Unknown said...

Looks like a great place to live (more pics would be nice)! Great office.

I've been wondering, what's the pollution situation like in the Phillipines? On a recent (and also my first) trip to the Philippines (Cebu) from Hong Kong, pollution didn't "seem" to be too bad (compared to HK anyway).

The situation in Hong Kong has gradually got worse during the past 10 years. We spend a month there on holiays earlier this year and noticed a big difference as compared to the year before. My old favourite walk along Nathan Road from TST to Mongkok (don't ask me why, but I always enjoy this walk) left me quite out of breath and a little dizzy.

The pollution situation in China itself has got even worse, reaching the level where I can't wear my contact lenses in Guangzhou any longer.

Obviously "pollution" would be a big factor in making the decision whether to stay in Europe or move back to Hong Kong/China. So that's why I'm asking this question, do you take the "pollution factor" into consideration when picking places to live & how do the Phillipines rate (compared to Thailand, eg)?

Jil Wrinkle said...

I think the pollution here is quite bad, especially at sunset when everybody sets out their daily refuse to "smoke" in order to cut down on mosquitos.

Also auto maintainence is nonexistent, and pretty much every vehicle on the road burns oil. Jeepneys are the worst.

Out on the highway and in the center of a city obviously are the worst places to be. I rode in the moving van with the windows down for 2 hours on Saturday out on the National Highway, and developed a cough because of that, which always (for me, semi-ex-smoker) takes a week to go away.

Overall, if you rank pollution high on your list of negatives in the decision making process, The Philippines, should not be your first choice.