Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Daily Report(s): Catching Up Some More

Okay... sorry Mom... sorry. Here comes some more.

On Wednesday, February 11th, Epril and I went to Phileas Fogg restaurant in the morning, where Epril became a founding member (and Treasurer) of The Expatriates' Ladies Charity Association.

On Thursday, February 12th, we didn't do anything special... although we did get some shopping done.

On Friday, February 13th, Epril and I first went to the internet office. They were supposed to call me at some point during the past week to set up an appointment for installation at the new house, and hadn't. So I paid them a visit to see what the holdup was. They apologized for the mixup and said they would contact me at once. (As of the time of this writing, they still haven't contacted me. I smell a problem a-brewing.) From there, we went to the satellite TV place and purchased a system for our house in Jasaan. (The local cable company doesn't go out that far.) It was 9,000 pisos ($190) for the dish, the receiver, and 10 months' subscription. (Only drawback: They only get 40 channels... but at least all my favorites.) Then it was off to Spooks Friday Night expatriate get-together just for a change. From there, it was off to visit with Mike and Marissa Turner. Then, Epril and I went to the Divisoria to find some DVD's. Epril has never seen any of the Austin Powers movies. Strangely enough, nobody in The Philippines has ever seen any of the Austin Powers movies... or even heard of them. They are nowhere to be found.

On Saturday, February 14th, I took Epril out to Town restaurant for our Valentine's Day Dinner. We had planned on taking a "picnic dinner" from Town up to the Malasag Ecolodge and renting a romantic mountaintop bungalow overlooking the city, but it was so cold and dreary, we cancelled that and stayed in town. We went out to Zax. The wait staff there has gotten so inept that we really just are going to stop going. After that, we went to a club called Insomnia, which was okay.

On Sunday, February 15th, I woke up sick. I don't know why this always happens, but whenever I go out and have a bit too much to drink, I always wake up the next day sick. (Yes... I know what you are going to say.) I mean sick. Really sick... an illness, a bug. I made it to Kingston Lodge for lunch (just for a change), and then I went home and climbed into bed, while Epril went off to a gathering of her old high school friends in Jasaan. I basically stayed in bed all day Sunday with fevers, chills, headache, the runs, and really bad joint pains. Quite unhappy.

On Monday, February 16th, I woke up still sick. I slept until noontime, before managing to get out of bed... barely. I needed to get up though: Today was the "big-spending" day. First, Epril and I went to Desmark and bought a big new refrigerator ($500), a new air conditioner ($300), 2 water heaters ($250), a stove/range ($450), a television ($250), and a bottled water hot/cold dispenser ($150). Then, we went and picked up the satellite TV system. Then we met Mike and Marissa for lunch at Ramen Tei Japanese restaurant. Then it was over to Mandaue Foam where I bought ten paintings for about $70 total, some other minor decor, and a leather footstool ($16). Then, we loaded everything into Mike's truck, and he drove us out to Jasaan. Along the way, we stopped at the furniture maker's. I've commissioned him to build a custom couch and coffee table for the living room (which I'm expecting to come in at around $300), a huge custom bed with a hand-carved headboard (which should come in at around $500), and also some closet space for the master bedroom (which should be only $200 or so). After we got everything dropped off at the house in Jasaan, Epril stayed behind while Mike and I rode back to Cagayan De Oro. Along the way, my illness started to come back and by the time I got home, I went straight back into bed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you might be getting or are allergic to alcohol. My god mother got that way...now she doesn't drink. Sorry ;)

Jil Wrinkle said...

I doubt that is it, considering I have a beer or a drink pretty much every night before bed. Maybe I'm getting allergic to heavy drinking or something. I had about 12 drinks Saturday night. (I'm sure I've mentioned before that Town has the world's best Piña Coladas.)

Issarat said...

Oh Jil; you know that the ice is probably not sterilized and since the mixed drinks contain ice; you are catching a 'bug' from the tap water used to make the ice in the drinks.

Jil Wrinkle said...

Issarat...

I didn't think of that. Although the only place I had ice was in the frozen piña coladas. After that, it was beer for the rest of the night.