Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Daily Report: A New Era Dawns With A Yawn

I spent the morning watching election returns. It was kind of cool: I did split screen and used the Playstation 3 to browse the internet while I watched Fox News (forgive me: they were the only channel broadcasting House results) for the coverage.

All in all, the results were quite underwhelming: The Presidential race was never in doubt, but the Democrats underperformed by a fair margin on the downticket races. Moreover, the passage of Proposition 8 in California (taking away gay people's marriage rights... passed primarily with the help of black people... oh the hypocrisy), along with similarly mean-spirited measures passing in Arkansas and Florida, was a black eye on what was otherwise a grand and historic night.

Obama is America's new President. I remember watching him speak at the 2004 Democratic Convention and thinking to myself with certainty that he would be America's first black president... someday. Who would have imagined then that someday would come so soon?

I finally got to work at about 4:00 in the afternoon.

At 7:00, Epril and I had a dinner date at Ron and Eve Van Orden's house. Epril wore her pretty white and pink dress. For dinner, there was grilled chicken breast, with (joy!) baked potatoes with sour cream, chives, and Bac-O's... a treat half a world away from Idaho (although Bac-O's could be Chinese cardboard soaked in melamine... not sure). The wine flowed, and the conversation was great.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

how do u use a playstation to split a screen

Jil Wrinkle said...

My HDTV has split screen. I put the Playstation in one screen and the news in the other screen.