Saturday, October 18, 2008

Daily Report: Domestic Amusements

I got in a slow morning of work today. I've completely transitioned to the new software that my company is using, and I've slowed down a fair bit. That will pick back up though eventually. My main problem is that I'm only allowed to work 40 hours per week now, and I'd rather work 60.

For lunch today, Epril and I went to Bigby's. It was Epril's thought to have hamburgers, and I remember somebody telling me that Bigby's were the best in town, so that is where we went. Of course, when we got there, I had a hamburger and Epril had pork chops. The hamburger was good... but not award-winning.

After lunch, Epril and I did some shopping. We bought a new HDMI cable for the home theater, and two more wedding albums to put all of the extra photos in. Then it was back home where Epril filled the albums, while I tried (again unsuccessfully) to get the BluRay audio to output through the home theater system, instead of just the television speakers. (Sony technical support won't help me as I have a BluRay player from America and a TV and home theater from The Philippines. I'm totally at a loss.)

My Motorstar motorcycle is broken again. This time it is the ignition key; it won't turn, so the motorcycle can't be started. I have to call the shop on Monday to have them come pick the thing up again to be fixed. I've graciously come to accept the fact that I've been ripped off with this motorcycle. If it was more of an inconvenience than catching one of CDO's ultra-cheap cabs... if it were more expensive than $4 or $5 at a time to fix... if I wouldn't feel guilty selling the p.o.s. to somebody else... then I'd probably be pissed, but it's not going to accomplish anything anyway. So fuck it.


Tonight, Epril and I joined up with the local expats for our friend Bennie's birthday party at Zax. We had such a good time. Epril and I both miss Pattaya sometimes, mostly because CDO can be a little slow, and there are so many things to do in Pattaya. But, nights like tonight, hanging out with all our new friends and having an uproariously good time... laughing until our cheeks got cramps... we don't miss Pattaya that much at all — just our friends there, of course.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why the rule about only working 40 hours a week?

Jil Wrinkle said...

I have a feeling that rule was brought about by me:

About 2 months ago, during the run-up to my wedding, I was working like crazy — 70 hours per week. I was getting about $800 per week in overtime pay. This was at the same time that people during the day were running out of work to do, and only able to put in 30 or 35 hours of work.

Can't say I blame them... but still wish they hadn't.