Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Quick Update

I figure if I don't put something up soon, my mother will start to worry. Unfortunately, I'm just far too busy with work to put up some serious blog posts with photos and stuff right now.

You might have heard of the MILF fighting in Lanao Del Norte and bombings in Illigan. It's a lot closer than any violence before to Cagayan De Oro — only 60 miles or so — but my home is still is a long way away in terms of places that the fighting might come to: Two hundred armed brigands wouldn't attempt a straightforward assault a city of half a million people (and Mindanao's largest army base), although staying away from bus stations and markets might not be a bad idea.

Well, if worse comes to worst, I'm a very easy fellow to move. I unplug the work computer, strap it and Epril to the back of the motorcycle, and in 4 or 5 minutes, off we go to mom and dad's house in Jasaan, and if things really go bad, then from there a quick drive to Camiguin Island and then a ferry to Bohol.

So anyway, that's just anodyne for my mother: Primarily to let her know that I've got a plan for the unthinkable-slash-impossible.

Other than that, like I said, I've been busy at work lately. I get about 3 or 4 hours a day away from work. Then it is back to bed. It's totally 100% life as usual here in Cagayan De Oro, both at home and around town, and nobody here thinks for a minute that that is going to change.

I'll try and write more later.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

hi jil, its glenn with 2 n's from north carolina. if you have to go to bohol i think you will like it. i was there in jan 2007 and loved it.just be safe.

Chief said...

Good to hear you have the common sense to have an escape plan thought out. I was in Zamboanga City for awhile and security was always my primary concern (four terrorist bombings, 3 terrorist camps raided, and about a dozen shoot outs happened during my time there....oh, and the Coup attempt in Makati by a small faction of the Phil Military, never a dull moment there,lol). I have worked in Haiti, Bosnia, Kosovo, and Kuwait and always had plans and contingencies will thought out, planned and rehearsed, just in case.

I have heard Cagayan de Oro is a relatively safe place, but in the end you are living on Mindanao and all the bad guys are there (MILF, MNLF, ASG, JI and NPA). You should be careful...and those bad guys know about the internet...be careful what you put on this blog.

Chief

Jil Wrinkle said...

Well Chief, Thanks for the advice. I doubt that the MILF could learn much from my blog. If you think that they might suss out my escape route, well: Cagayan is a costal city backed by mountains. Assuming the airport is no-go, there are only two ways out of town, by water and by road, and there are only two roads out of town, east and west. It's pretty straightforward and not particularly interesting as far as emergency exits go.

I've read that one local expat now plans on keeping an open-ended plane ticket out of the city, which I think is kind of silly: If it's time to run, waiting for your flight to leave isn't the smartest thing.

NurseJake said...

Hey jil!

Came here from mike's blog and then to your old pattaya blog and now here. ;)

Im in CDO too, a blogger and a local resident. I live just across the mountain east of where you are. lol! (i suppose you live near SM).

Hey, dont worry, CDO is never a target of MILF (never has, never will). My gf's father is in politics and he assures us if theres a last city in mindanao ever be bothered by any groups, its CDO. Why? former mayor Emano (I suppose you know him) is strong ties with them (moslems love him too much).

Its a nice thing youve got a back-up plan though. ;) Yes, life goes on normally.

-kirby

Issarat said...

MILF- all these years I thought that meant a "mother I'd like to f__."
It is a common term used for a nice looking 30's plus woman who is attractive and keeps herself well put together.
IF there is an army of them headed your way Jil; just arm yourself with Prozac and cheap wine and you will be fine. :-)