Saturday, August 2, 2008

Daily Report: A Day On Agutayan Island

Last Sunday, Epril and I were joined by Mike and Emelyn Bird, and Mike and Marissa Turner (along with family) for a boat trip out to Agutayan Island. It was a pretty good trip although there were a few problems: As you can see in this first picture, there was a big storm off in the distance. Although it never did come close to the island, being on a treeless sand bar the size of a football field out in the middle of the ocean makes you acutely aware of the weather.
The second problem was that there was a roofed pavilion built up on stilts upon which we had planned to spend our time, but as you can see it had been destroyed recently by a storm (making the distant storm all the more ominous). Click here to see what the pavilion looked like before the storm.

So we had to settle for a makeshift shelter on the sand. With a stiff and constant breeze, it wasn't that steady a shelter... but we crouched inside and ate and drank in between swimming and snorkling. I had brought along all the ingredients for a big pile of Nachos Supreme as well as pineapple juice, rum, and coconut milk for piƱa coladas, Mike and Marissa brought along a cooler full of beer and Gatorade, and Bird and Emelyn brought the Filipino food.

Ah... problem number three: Here I am (in the red shirt) about to experience bad luck. I put my digital camera and mobile phone in my shirt pocket so that when I jumped out of the boat, they wouldn't get wet. Somehow, as I hopped down out of the boat, about 5 seconds after this photo was taken — with my hand actually over my shirt pocket holding the camera and phone — the camera squirted out of my grasp and landed in the water.

Photo of me pondering the power of Murphy's Law. That's the second digital camera I've gotten wet in as many years. Maybe I'll look into one of those waterproof ones now. It wasn't a particularly expensive camera (the first camera last year was, and I learned my lesson), but I loathe buying another camera yet again.

Anyway, Mike Turner had two cameras with him, including an underwater camera. We did some snorkeling... although not adventuring too far as none of us were real snorkel enthusiasts, and the reef on which Agutayan Island sits is about 1 kilometer long by 300 meters wide... too far for us to swim to get to the real exciting parts. But there were lots of starfish and colorful tropical fish and coral. Out at the reef's edge, there are incredible clam beds and a full-blown coral reef. Click here to see some photos of scuba diving on Agutayan Island.

The island is located about 5 kilometers off the coast of Mindanao, directly west of the town of Jasaan, about 45 minutes northeast of Cagayan De Oro. (Click here to see the island on Wikimapia. Only the white sandy part is above water.) You can hire a boat to take a dozen people out to the island and back for 800 pesos... $20. The boat (as you can see above) is a little small, but it's a wooden/bamboo combination, and it would require a trip through a wood chipper before it would sink.

Dimple and I enjoying the warm tropical water.

Epril (trying to avoid getting a tan) and Marissa Turner.

Anyway, in the late afternoon, it was back to the mainland, and then to Mike Bird's Bamboo Castle where we sat around and finished off the rest of the cooler's contents.

(Thanks for the pictures, Mike.)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

That looks like a really fun, adventurous time...great pictures. I have a Canon Powershot S80 with an underwater case. It's a good durable camera and you might be able to find it and the case cheap (New York stores), as it's a discontinued model. Check out some of my underwater shots here: http://www.pbase.com/mataho/perhentian_islands

mataho in bkk

charish said...

It is nice to see you on the other side of the camara. You should do that more often.
Charish

Chief said...

I like this blog. I just got back from a 7 month deployment to the Philippines. I was staying in Mindanao (way south of you) and working in Jolo, Basalin, Tawi-Tawi and Cotabato (not the nicest places to stay - the terrorists on the small islands love to shot at us, thankfully they are horrible marksman).

My plan someday is to live in the Philippines so reading about some of your Philippine travels is helping me figure out where I should stay. Who knows maybe someday we will be neighbors...lol. Although I can not see myself staying in Mindanao....to many active terrorist groups (ASG, MILF, MNLF, JI, NPA etc). I think the city you are at is probably the safest place to be in Mindanao though...looks real beautiful there.

If we are neighbors someday.....I will get you into my home gym and get your working out again. I also cross-train (running, swimming and biking) if you are interested in that. With a sedentary job (working behind a computer all day) you really need to get out and do some serious cardio and weightlifting...the body was not designed for sitting around all day doing nothing.

Unknown said...

but your brain is...

DAGO said...

Well Im glad to read those arent MAN BOOBS your sporting,LOL.
You got the life man!!!!

Anonymous said...

If you would be so kind to give a bit of instruction as to how to get to Agutayan Island. From cdo, but not from Jasaan.. Quite a good discovery. Do they also have gadgets for rent to be used for snorkeling and scuba if ever we decide to do such? What about tents? did you bring it with you, or were there also for rent there?Your input is valuable. thanks

Jil Wrinkle said...

Unless you have your own boat, there really is no way to get to Agutayan Island other than by taking one of the boat services from Jasaan. Jasaan is 30 km out the highway Northeast of CDO.

Once you pass Jasaan (you'll recognize that part of the highway because it does an S-turn around Jasaan... the only "real" turn on the highway since passing Tagoluan) keep an eye out on the left side for the several places that sell boat trips to Agutayan Island. I am pretty sure that some of them have equipment to rent.