Saturday, June 21, 2008

Deadly Typhoon Tears Right By My House

And when I say "tears right by my house", I mean missed me completely, skipped over me entirely. But everywhere else in The Philippines, a monster storm is tearing shit up. The storm started in the ocean directly east of Mindanao, and traveled to the northwest and passed right over the northeastern tip of Mindanao island, merely 100 miles away from Cagayan De Oro, and then veered north and worked its way up the entire Philippine archipelago.

But there was even heavy rainfall on Mindanao that we never saw here in Cagayan either. Southwest of us, Cotobato City is getting flooded out, several people died, and hundreds are being evacuated from landslide-prone areas.

Here? We have had an overcast day with some early morning drizzle. That's it.

3 comments:

Mom said...

We read about this. Glad to hear it missed you. How safe is Cagayan de Oro from typhoons anyway?
Mom

Jil Wrinkle said...

Well, based on what I've experienced in the 4 months that I've been here so far, pretty good.

I was thinking about how Cagayan has huge mountain ranges to the east, the west and the south. I'm sure that effects the paths of storms headed directly for Cagayan.

DAGO said...

Glad to hear your ok. When I heard of it I wondered.