Saturday, May 10, 2008

Daily Report: A Ham Sandwich

I've been jonesing so bad for a sandwich.

A sandwich here in Cagayan can be described thusly: Take two rather thick slices of sweetened white bread. Toast lightly. On the inside of those slices, spread on two thick layers of sweet mayonnaise. Then, place one thin slice of ham, one leaf of lettuce, and two slices of cherry tomato, and a rather generous helping of raw onions. Cut in half, secure with toothpicks, and serve.


I'll admit I got a little too enthusiastic
with the ham. Couldn't help myself.
So after asking everybody I knew, today I bought french bread from Bigbey's, a full kilogram of "farmer's ham" (not too bad, really) from Prime Slice and Deli, and some dijon mustard from SM market, and made myself a nice, thick ham sandwich. (I didn't locate swiss cheese yet... next time.)

Good thing I found all of the ingredients to make a ham sandwich... or I might have had to give up on The Philippines entirely. Heh

If I had the money, I have no doubt that opening up a fast food franchise here in Cagayan like Subway (or, better yet: Burger King) would be a huge success. McDonald's and Jollibee (both crap, comparatively) do immensely well here.

4 comments:

Mike Turner said...

i agree with you there

Burger king rules over Mcdonalds in Asia ex Jap


Thai's will eat anything if they think it is the best in the west. unfortunatly none if them have tasted real amercian mickie d's

Cynthia Haller said...

You are lucky to be able to make your own sandwich at home, I gave up long ago as Indians tend to see sandwiches as sweet bread toasted crap loaded with ketchup and potatoes.
I'm yet to find lunch meat in stores, I completely gave up finding swiss cheese at a decent price and even managed to get used to their rubbery processes cheese slices.

If I really really crave a sub I head to Subway, next time I might try asking where they get their ham.

Jil Wrinkle said...

Cyn...

At least you have Subway. I used to be a subway addict... and it's healthy too: I used to have ham, cheese, lettuce, onions, and pickles, with no sauce. That's a whole lot healthier than a burger.

Fuzzylogic said...

wow! i am from CDO and I haven't tasted i ham like that. mind if you let me? ahahaha