Monday, May 2, 2011

Daily Report: Nickels And Dimes

I went back to the library today to renew my book ("Storm of Swords", part of the new series being played on HBO) and was told that other people wanted to borrow it and I could not take it back home.

Sigh. I'm giving up on the library: First off, I read too slowly (I like to do 1 chapter per day, and in a 90-chapter book... well, you do the math); second, I always wind up renewing my books a day or two late, and pay $3 or $4 in late fees for each book; and three, other people can't read the book when I have it out for 3 months at a time... or I get it snatched away from me halfway through.

So I went to Books-A-Million and bought "Storm of Swords" for myself. Now I'm going to go about ordering an Amazon Kindle so that I can download my books from the internet and read them that way. I used my mother's Kindle when she was here and it was quite nice: easier to hold and read than a regular book. As long as the hardware lasts for 4 years or so, I should break even on the up-front investment.

After that, I stopped by Wal-Mart. Sale on Diet Cherry Doctor Pepper today, the world's best diet soda. They were sold out. In fact, Wal-Mart was sold out of nearly every kind of diet soda they stocked. Lots of the fattening stuff though. You think they would keep better track of what was popular.

From there, I went to Target where I bought a little 4-inch skillet to fry an egg in for $6. Then I went next door to Office Depot where I spent $80 on a new wireless keyboard on which I'll do my transcription work. (The third time in 10 years that I've changed keyboards for transcribing.) My desktop is now completely wire free. Very cool.

Work was good today and this evening. I tore through 1500 lines in 4 hours. Then, I kicked the spurs into the Bubba Gump project for about an hour. After that was a bit of channel surfing and a beer. Then, into bed with my book, where I read yet another solitary chapter.

1 comment:

Jil Wrinkle said...

If you want a good book to read, you should try a Tom Clancy book