Sunday, January 2, 2011

Daily Report: Sunrise

The migration back to my regular sleeping schedule was as easy as falling down, as expected. Bedtime is now at 11 a.m. and waking up is at 8 p.m. (I do despise waking up in the dark, but it can't be helped.)

I've been wanting to go for walks in the morning and have been doing so. But being so much further north in latitude (1,350 miles) means that the sun rises substantially later now in the wintertime than it did in Jasaan: 7:22 a.m. to be precise. Unless I want to walk in the dark, I have to sit around the house until at least 7:00 before the sky is light enough to see anything. That sucks a bit. At least the temperature is going up now.

I've been shopping twice at 7 a.m. though. That's brilliant: Go do your grocery shopping first thing in the morning. Everything is fresh, no lines, and all the people working at the supermarket haven't had a bad day yet and actually seem happy to see you.

Yeah: Payday. Groceries. I treated myself to half a pound of prosciutto. Also, there was pumpkin-pie-flavor milk which I bought to put in my coffee for $2 per quart: all these clever foods they have for sale in America, so much fun.

I've started studying anatomy. The book I got from the library is pretty basic (it was the thin book next to the paving-brick-sized "Gray's Anatomy") but I can go on the internet to expand upon anything I read. The only problem is that on the subject of anatomy you really can get buried in the details. Just focusing on the bony skull: it is divided into 40 separate fused bones. Those bones are then divided into individually named processes. Those processes all have bumps, prominences, holes, curves, and other features that all have their own names. Even the little flanges and features on those bumps, prominences, holes, et cetera have their own names as well. If you wanted to know all the words just associated with bones of the head you would probably have to learn 400 anatomical terms.

I've a good idea about what level of detail is too detailed for any particular part of anatomy: If, after a decade of medical transcription, I see a word that I have not seen before then chances are it's a litle bit too specialized to merit study at my level.

New Year's Day on BBC America showed all the prior Doctor Who specials. Doctor Who episodes are divided into regular season episodes and special episodes (usually airing at Christmas and Easter). I had actually never seen the special episodes before because I only purchased the season DVD collections. I never realized how important the specials were to the series... and to the viewers: this year's Christmas Eve Doctor Who special (a fantastic story starring Micheal Gambon (Dumbledore) as a scrooge-like character) was the most viewed program of the day in England.

Okay. Time to go for a walk.

No comments: