Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Thailand Says, "Never Mind The Bollocks"

Arrivals at Bangkok's airport are down 33% because of the political violence gripping the capital. Obviously, tourists (probably nothing but tourists) are cancelling trips to Thailand at what must be approaching majority numbers.

So, what's Thailand going to do? Promote! Promote! Promote! I'm trying to figure out whether the Tourism Authority of Thailand actually thinks that potential visitors are dumb enough to say, "Well yes, there are riots and bombs and soldiers and the potential for open warfare, but the Royal Palace is a must see!"... or they just figure they should do something no matter how unintelligent.

Twits.

If I were in charge of The Philippines tourism board, NOW would be the time to spend some serious money on promotions, showing how The Philippines just kicks Thailand's ass.

Thailand is most famous for the "3 S's" (sun, sand, and pretty ladies). The Philippines has... uh...

Well, Thailand has lots of crazy people running around in color-coded shirts shouting political slogans right now. The Philippines never... um...

Even so, Thailand has all those crazy Muslim folks down South. In The Philippines there aren't... er...

Well, I'm sure that right now there are no bombs going off in Manila... but there are in Bangkok. Hurry up, PI: You've got a leg up on Thailand for a change. Take advantage of it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jil keep the photos coming! I want to see more of your house and Jasaan. I live vicariously through your life. Yeah I know, sad but true. Boring job, boring place now. If I strike it rich, I am coming back to CDO and buying you a few San Mig Lights. And yes, I'll pack up a nice cheap workstation for you and a laptop for Michael in my luggage. Your guys tech complaints are easily solveable. ;)

Oh yeah and some dill pickles!

Jil Wrinkle said...

Anon,

I've been sleeping in lately. I need to get up again nice and early and do another morning walk to get some more photos.

Yes... Dill pickles would be nice.