Monday, January 4, 2010

Are Filipinos Not As Churchgoing As Americans?

I was just sitting here thinking: Jasaan is a town with a population that is somewhere above 30,000 people. In this town, there is only one church about the size of the average American church. In addition, there are 4 or 5 very small churches (less than 30 people), and 10 or 15 tiny chapels that don't hold services.

Now, Filipinos are religious... don't get me wrong: There is lots of faith here. But, when it comes to going to church, there are only enough pews in Jasaan to hold perhaps 1,000 people. The town where I grew up had 6,000 people in it, and probably enough pew space for 2,000 people. I would guess that 1,000 people in my home town went to church every Sunday. Attendance here in Jasaan is barely higher... but they have 5 times as many people living here.

In that way, The Philippines is a lot like Thailand: Lots of personal worship and faith and belief permeating daily life, but people don't get involved in the organized schedule and function of religion nearly as much.

But, if you were to ask me which population has more faith and religion: Philippines (or Thailand) versus America, I wouldn't hesitate to pick the Asian country.

No comments: