Monday, December 7, 2009

Fuck Sony and Their Fucking Yellow Light of Death

Some stuff you don't learn about until after it walks up and punches you in the face. Then you stand around looking stupid while everyone around you says, "Oh? You didn't realize that you would wind up getting punched in the face? It happens all the time you know. Happened to me twice last week."

Such is the story with my $500 Playstation 3. Wasn't I surprised to find over 1 million hits on Google and 1000 YouTube videos complaining about the "yellow light of death" shortly after I tried to turn on my PS3 tonight and the red light that was supposed to turn a happy blue color instead turned an unexpected yellow before switching back to red again. And... just like the other tens of thousands of people left high and dry, my PS3 died 6 months after the warranty expired.

I now own a $500 brick.

I keep buying Sony products too. Everything I own is Sony. Why the fuck do I keep giving these people my money? I never learn.

Now it's off to Sony repair center in CDO with my bricked equipment to see if they can fix it. Well... there seems to be ample evidence on YouTube that the PS3 Yellow Light Of Death can be repaired easily enough, but I'm not going to crack open my own junk and make it officially worthless in the process.

2 comments:

kris said...

Very simple, when it comes to electronics, rule #1 in my house, Sony is a huge NO NO. I don't want ANYTHING from Sony even if they gave it away for free.

Anonymous said...

Jil,

That sucks, they should be able to fix it though. Do you have the 250gb version? If cant be fixed could you fix it by changing the 2.5" hard drive? If so you could replace it with a 500gb upgraded drive they arent that expensive on ebay. I hope they can fix it though as often read on your blog about you gaming with it so youll be either running out to get new one or suffering withdrawels maybe if not fixable.