Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Daily Report: My Grandstand

Today was a holiday in Jasaan, "Araw Ng Jasaan." There was a big parade through town this morning, right by my house. It seemed like everybody in town was in the parade, as it went on for almost 90 minutes. Epril and I stood in the rooftop garden of our house and watched everybody pass by, waving, and receiving a thousand waves in return.

Every city department was marching. Every Barangay hall was marching. (Everybody wore colorful matching T-shirts.) Every school band was marching. (The little 8-year-old majorettes were the cutest thing ever in their flouncy skirts and jaunty caps.) The high schoolers all marched in their uniforms. Major Jardin passed by with the rest of City Hall.

Jeez, I need to get a new camera.

There was a big party in the evening, with some famous musical act named Black Jack playing at the city pavillion. I listened to it for a little while at the proper sound and crowd level... once again from my rooftop garden about 150 meters away.

No comments: