Saturday, August 8, 2009

Daily Report: Jungle Party

I had my 40th birthday party today, held at Faustina Pool Resort here in Jasaan. I hired 2 jeepneys to bring all my friends out from Cagayan, plus all of my friends and family from here in town. I'd say there were about 60 people total.

We had a huge amount of food: A roast pig, BBQ chicken, pizza, spaghetti, pancit, umba, and biko for dessert. In addition, there was plenty to drink. I made a huge cooler of my world-famous Cagayan Cocktail, which was a monster hit. Even the professional drinkers in the crowd were impressed at the immense kick the drink provided. Everyone got drunk, wet, and stuffed with good food. At the end of the day, there were absolutely no leftovers.

I shaved off my mustache and goatee for the party... first time without in about 5 years. I figured that being my 40th birthday, there should be some symbolic, futile gesture on my part to grasp on to my fleeting youth. More importantly, Epril — never having seen me without — was curious how I would look. Now she knows.

I'm waiting for some better photos of the party. Everybody kind of sat all over the place up at the pool resort, so there is no photo with a bunch of people (including me) in it, except this one below.
Recipe for a bucket of Cagayan Cocktail:
  • Two 700 mL bottles of strawberry lambanog
  • Half a 700 mL bottle of vodka
  • One 700 mL bottle of Orchid triple sec
  • One 300 mL (large) bottle of Island Mixers lime juice
  • 4 cans of San Miguel Strawberry Margarita
  • Two large cans of pineapple juice
Put in the freezer for at least 36 hours.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jil, looks like you really had a great time out there and you look pretty good without your mustache on! Am sure Epril likes it more than anybody else does. I hope I can convince Mike to shave his mustache too. Way to go Jil!

Fretzie

Anonymous said...

Good call shaving your face; I am sure Epril likes it..if she says she doesn't she is just trying to make you feel better.
Man, who knew there was a handsome man lurking under that facial hair?

Anonymous said...

You look great without the facial hair, did it take some getting used to? Hope you had a great party. :)

-Nancy

Jil Wrinkle said...

Hi Nancy. No: It wasn't hard to get used to being without a beard. My facial hair was more an affectation than any kind of major part of me. Other people are more affected by its loss than I am.

Unknown said...

Happy B'day!
Good drinks, beautiful women, and a swimming pool...
That's my idea of a great b'day party!
Cheers, mataho in bangkok

Anonymous said...

Now cut the ponytail and you will be in this era for style.
:-)

Jil Wrinkle said...

This era? In style? I have never once in my life been stylish. I used to get in fights in high school because of my on personal interpretation of "style". In college, I wore shirts, ties, and even suits to class to differentiate myself from the Greeks. And... well... in the 20 years since then, let's just say that my nonconformative appearance has been ever-present.