Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Daily Report: Confusion and Focus

On Saturday morning, I was up nice and early and in my formal barong. My orientation and initiation to The Eagles was today. I rode into CDO and was at the restaurant right on time for orientation. Unfortunately, nobody else was there: The orientation had been changed to the day before... but I was sick on Tuesday and missed the meeting at which that fact had been announced. Therefore I was unable to be initiated that evening. I still went to the initiation as a guest though.

Since there were about 40 new people to be initiated, and 7 of them were not able to make the orientation meeting on Friday, a second orientation and initiation was scheduled.

Epril spent Saturday at a birthday party. I thought that was the day she was going to deliver the school supplies, so when she went I didn't go along. I failed to realize that I had been invited to the party too... and all of my friends were there wondering where I was. Oops. My apologies to all who attended.

On Sunday, I spent the day playing my video game. I totally would have failed out of college if games like this had been around then.

Monday was the day that Epril went out to the country with the Expats Ladies Charity group and distributed a truckload of school supplies to poor children... and where she caught a cold. I went out to Mike Bird's house in the evening, and we sat and talked about our business plans. Things are moving along in that area... but in a different direction than we originally intended.

On Tuesday, I had the makeup orientation meeting for The Eagles back in CDO.

My work performance has suddenly picked up remarkably. I hope it stays that way. I think it is directly linked to how much I like my job. For a while now, I've had good reason to dislike work, as there were a whole slew of major changes about 7 or 8 months ago that really turned my earning potential topsy-turvy. In a self-fulfilling and self-perpetuating circle of work-related antipaty, things just got worse... and all the platitudes and attempts at positive thinking on earth wouldn't change my true feelings: It's not easy on the psyche to go from earning fifty dollars per hour to earning fifteen dollars per hour... even if a fair amount of that decrease was, as mentioned, self-induced. Then, suddenly, things improved: I don't know why it was this particular moment, but I woke up on Monday and things seemed easier, less disagreeable, more manageable. I'm not back to my original earning levels, and never will be... but I'm substantially closer than I was just last week. The Greeks call it metanoia: A profound change of spirit and mind... seeing the light.

There: You're all caught up now. I'm going to get back to work.

3 comments:

Mom said...

Good for you- I'm glad you found it - metanoia! May you continue to have it!

Sorry about you being ill. Take care of yourself.

Issarat said...

Any news on the chicken farm? That would help your income no?

Jil Wrinkle said...

Mike and I have gone back to our original idea, which is more scaleable and (actually) more profitable: Lechon Manok (BBQ Chicken) stands. We had shied away from it for a while because we didn't want to get into direct competition with other small business owners... but now that we've asked around, it seems like an okay thing to do if we do it the way we plan. (You'll see.)