Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Daily Report: Chicken Farm Tour And Then To Bed

I ate some bad chicken last night, and was paying for it this morning. (The most frustrating part was that I only had a couple of bites.) First thing upon waking up this morning, I lost almost a gallon of fluid on the toilet. This is the fourth episode of bad stomach upset I've had since moving out to Jasaan two months ago. Whenever I move to a new location here in Asia, there seems to be a period of adjustment for my gut... but getting hit 4 times in 3 months is the worst so far. I need to be more careful about what I eat.

After I spent some time in the bathroom, Epril and I joined Auntie Puring and Uncle Bob on a trip out to visit a chicken farm. I've never been to a chicken farm, and I'm interested in the possibilities it offers as a business here in The Philippines. (Several local expatriates have mentioned it as well.) We rode out to visit a friend of Auntie's, one Mr. Lopez, who owns a medium-sized chicken growing operation. Epril and I spent an hour with Mr. Lopez walking around the facility and visiting the barns and asking questions. We learned quite a bit.

By the time I was done walking around in the hot sun, with my stomach already upset, I was entirely whipped. I made it back home, drank about a liter of Gatorade, and crawled into bed at about 10 in the morning. I woke up at 3 in the afternoon, and felt like I had been chewed up and spit out. I had to cancel my trip into CDO tonight for the Eagles meeting, and then went back to sleep.

At about 7:00, I woke up and had a nice long, hot shower, and that seemed to help. Then, I ate a plate of plain spaghetti (with a bit of salt and butter... just like when I was a kid) and that got me about three-quarters back in shape.

We spent a couple of hours watching a Korean TV show that Epril had purchased on DVD called Boys Before Flowers. Not very good, as it was mostly a show designed to get girls to giggle and squeal at the cute boys kissing the cute girls, but it was better than most things that you find on television in The Philippines.

By the time I went back to bed at 9:30, my body was feeling almost back to normal, but I had a headache.

No comments: