Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Daily Report: Bird's Bamboo Bungalow

I had a fine day of work today. Epril sat with me for much of the day with her laptop, keeping me company. I find I do more work when I have somebody sitting next to me. In the afternoon, Epril had about half a dozen of her friends over for a little get together.

In the evening, it was over to Mike and Emelyn Bird's house out in the suburb of Jasaan called Kimaya. The vespertine light in the picture below doesn't do his house justice: He's done a nice job building a traditional bamboo house with all the trappings of modern comfort. The gardens are quite nice, using the natural rocks as well as white and pink coral. He is building a fish pond out back, he has a badminton court off to the side, a vegetable and spice garden, and chicken coop.

The lawn, however, is definitely a work in progress.

He purchased the land (I would guess about an acre) alongside a large brook, and about half of the land is rice paddy, the other half is a hodgepodge of good soil, hardpack, boulders, and even some sedge over in the lowest lying corner (where the fish pond is going in). The raised house is fully bamboo, except for the bathroom, which has a cement foundation.

No comments: