Friday, May 8, 2009

Daily Report: Jungle Jil PR and Marketing

I was quoted extensively in the second Hunt-Songcuya article today. I tried to get a plug for the blog in the newspaper so that my quotes would be attributed to "Jil Wrinkle, local expatriate and author of Mindanao's most fantastic and widely read blog, Jungle Jil," but instead I was just put down as "Jil Wrinkle". Sigh.


About half of the guys in this
picture are the Jungle Jump-
ers. (I'm not sure which though
because they don't have their
jerseys yet. Team picture will
come in a week when the team
uniforms arrive.)
I now own a basketball team. George Steinbrenner, eat your heart out. Actually I just donated 4,000 pisos to the local Kimaya league team for their uniforms. I've named them the "Jungle Jumpers", but I think that it really is pointless because everybody just calls them "Kimaya." Oh well. I'm taking everybody on the team out to get "junglejil.blogspot.com" tattooed across the backs of their necks next week.

When I used to live in Houston, I was a big Rockets basketball fan. Thing was, whenever I turned on the TV to watch a game, The Rockets would start to lose. If I turned off the TV, the Rockets would make a comeback and win. (The Rockets went on to win 2 NBA championships and I never watched a game... radio only.)

The Jumpers had their first game with me as team owner tonight. When I arrived at The Big Vagina (the local basketball pavilion decorated with a rather gynecological-looking giant cement clam) at halftime, my team was ahead 24 to 22. When I left at the beginning of the fourth quarter, my team was down 36 to 39.

After I left, they came from behind to win. Seems like I'm destined to give "blind support" a whole new meaning.

Anyway, for everybody else who isn't a jinx, you all should come out to Jasaan (or just walk over, if you're already here) and enjoy a nightly basketball game. They are an enjoyable way to spend an evening. There are at least 2 games every night, starting at 6 p.m.

No comments: