Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Overseas Insurance

I've been thinking about it, especially now that I'm married, especially after seeing what has happened to Thomas Hunt. One commenter said it happens all the time to guys in Asia; I've personally never seen it before and didn't realize it was that easy to be left alone in a situation that dire.

I guess it's time to get some health insurance.

I never had any before because (a) I was told that the insurance my company offers wouldn't cover me in Asia, (b) the money I would spend on an American insurance plan in a single year alone would cover the cost of a brain transplant, two heart transplants, and a sex change here in The Philippines.

If anybody reading can tell me: Is there any way to get medical insurance in The Philippines for Epril and me that just covers medical expenses after they go over 50,000 pisos ($1,000) that won't cost me more than $100 per month?

I really know nothing about health insurance and all those different limits and coverage areas and drug benefits or what-have-you. I tried studying it a couple of times and my mind derailed.

5 comments:

Tom N said...

Would you be eligible for this:

PhilHealth?

Anonymous said...

I don't know anything but I am so glad you are getting insured finally!!! -Nancy

TheMindFantastic said...

Really a brain transplant and a few heart transplants? Wow that is expensive... the sex change I hear thats small change over there... (economic meaning, obviously that would be a rather BIG change lifewise, though I guess not as much as a brain transplant)

Anonymous said...

less than $100 a month is nearly impossible. Can you do a HSA (healthcare spending account through your company? Basically you can take out a bunch of pre tax earnings and then use them as as needed with receipts. might be something.

Jil Wrinkle said...

Anon,

I was looking at the PhilHealth that Tom recommended and while I'm not sure I'm eligible, the prices are certainly low ($15 per month at the top bracket).

My friend Mike Turner has all of his employees on PhilHealth, as well as his wife and ("I think", he says) himself. I'm going to have Epril get in touch with Mike's wife Marissa and I might stop by Mike's company to talk to the person who runs the insurance program there to see what we can do, and what kind of coverage the PhilHealth provides.