Friday, September 19, 2008

Daily Report: (Bad For) Mental Health Day

I missed work this morning, as Epril and I drove out to Jasaan today to meet with the Mayor there, who is going to be marrying us. (Aside story: Catholic church? You need less paperwork to get an American passport than to get a Catholic marriage certificate. Protestant church? None within 20 miles of Jasaan, and no Protestant minister was willing to marry people outside of the 4 walls of his church. Judge? Out of town for the weekend.) Our scheduled meeting with the mayor was unfortunately cancelled, as Hizzoner was still in Manila... couldn't even be reached by telephone.

So, in order to make the trip not a complete waste, we went to the resort hotel where the wedding would be. We found a gorgeous pavillion up on the hill overlooking the ocean and the islands, surrounded by tropical gardens and trees where we would have the ceremony. A nearby little gathering of bamboo nipa huts and shade trees would be the place for the cocktails and chitchat with guests after Epril and I are married. After that, we went down to the restaurant, where Epril and I (and mom and dad and Auntie Puring and Uncle Bob) settled on, ordered, and ate the 5 dishes that will be served at our wedding.

Epril and I then drove back to Cagayan De Oro, with a stop at the wedding planner, who will be joining us for a trip back out to Jasaan on Monday for a look at all the facilities.

When I got home in the early afternoon, the internet was down, and stayed down for 90 minutes. Then, when the internet came back on, I found that my VPN was broken. After 60 minutes working with technical support it was (by sheer luck) discovered that somehow my password had been changed to "password". Complete effing mystery, that.

So by the time I got logged back in to work, it was time to go out again: Epril and I went off to Spooks Friday evening family buffet, where we dropped of wedding invitations to our friends there. My side of the wedding guests (which includes friends that Epril and I have made together) totals 7 couples from Cagayan de Oro, 5 friends from Thailand, an old friend and his wife from Manila, and my mother, father, and sister from America. Epril's side of the wedding guests (which includes her family and old local friends) is... well... a complete mystery to me actually. I've teased her about not inviting enough people, and told her that I'm paying for 150 people regardless of how many show up... so the total had better be close to that. She just smiles and nods her head, and says she'll try.

Epril and I got home at 7:30 and watched Ratatouille on The Disney Channel.

Oh: I finally hooked up the Playstation 3 to the internet yesterday. It has a built-in internet browser as well. So altogether, it's a Playstation 3, Playstation 2, Blu-Ray player, DVD player, and internet terminal... all for $500. Surfing the internet on a 60-inch computer monitor from your comfy couch is definitely cool too.

So, all in all, a rather fruitful, frustrating, involuntary day away from work.

6 comments:

Chief said...

Jil

Please do not take this the wrong way - but are you certain marriage is the right way to go? Granted, I am a bit cynical (I am divorced). You have led a life that many guys would be envious of - living in Pattaya, Thailand, then Philippines. Both places a guy like us can get a girl - 10+ years younger, totally out of our league in attractiveness, and have a different one every week (and I am NOT talking about the "working girls"). With my extended working trips to Thailand and the Philippines I have noticed how easy it was for me to get rather bored of the lady I was with fairly quickly into our relationship. Maybe that is because I was dating girls who were normally 10+ years younger then me (we had very little in common). And I have to admit many of those women were well educated (western universities), professional, perfect English, and absolutely stunningly beautiful ladies. The kind of lady I would never pass up here in America - I routinely discard while in southeast asia. Funny how that works out.

Why settle for one? Well, there is one, and only one, reason to marry - children. Are there going to be any little Jils running around soon? Hmmmmm, well there could be another reason - you planning on staying there in the Philippines forever - or you planning to come back to your mother country soon? I would imagine if you were coming back to the US you would be inclined to bring a little bit of the Phils with you.

Although we have never meet, I do wish you well.

Chief

Jil Wrinkle said...

I've never been the type of guy who wants lots of different ladies. Even in Pattaya — the rent-a-girl capital of the world — I always stuck with one girl, and never had any interest in fooling around.

I'm very happy with Epril in every way possible. Well, she isn't a college-educated intellectual, but she is suprisingly witty and clever and says things (mostly by accident) that have me rolling on the floor laughing. She's hugely polite and reserved and the people she meets instantly like her. She dotes on me, puts up with me, and takes care of me very very well. She has a great family consisting of friendly and interesting people. Maybe she won't be as beautiful when she is 50 (and I'm 68) but all of the other bits aren't going to change.

Chief said...

Jil

I peg you at about 40...which then puts Epril at 22? Wow, you are the man, Jil. I was in the Phils last year for about 7 months and dated several women. The relationship that lasted the longest was with a 23 year old. I have to admit it was great while it lasted....but I personally just could not get over the differences we had.

Although age is just a number, there are other intangible ways in which we grow over the years that just put her and I so far apart in maturity/emotional levels.

I guess in the end you and I are looking for different things...I have been married, have a son. Don't need to do that again. It looks like when I retire (from military) and get a contractor position it will be either in southeast asia or south america. I will be bringing my son with me...which will be a great experience for him. So, although I am certain there will be women in my life at either place I may live in...my focus will always be my son.

After you are married I would recommend you go though with the next logical step....have a child. Coming from a guy who will be a divorced bachelor the remaining years of his life...I am telling you there is nothing like having your own child. Nothing. Even with all the crap I put up with from his mother (and still do) I would not trade it for anything. I have my son.

Take care,

Chief

Mom said...

Good for you, Jil. I'm glad that you are happy and have found someone to share your life. I'll see you and Epril soon.
Mom

Chief said...

I stand corrected by....Mom, lol. Take care, Jil. Hope you and Epril have a great life together. It is an adventure over there make every day count. You are living the dream, dude. I am envious.

Chief

Jil Wrinkle said...

Thank you Chief. Thank you mom. See you Thursday.