Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Settling In

I made it... but barely.

Here's a bit of info: Cebu Pacific charges 200 baht per kilo for every kilogram your luggage is overweight, and each passenger is only allowed 20 kilograms of luggage. Epril and I were therefore allowed 40 kilos between us, and we had 140 kg worth of stuff in 5 suitcases. You can do the math: Our luggage cost us twice as much as our plane tickets did. Oh: Cash only at the airline counter, if you please.

Here's some more info: Purple fuzzy fake handcuffs cause quite a stir at the X-ray machine at the domestic terminal in Manila... even if it is in your checked (not carry-on) luggage. Go figure. At this point, a wink-wink-nudge-nudge and friendly currency exchange with the 5 security guards wanting to paw through your suitcase comes in handy before you discover just how many shades of red your lady's face is capable of displaying.

I've moved into the new house, and am in the process of stocking it. So far, I've managed to avoid buying any bright green or orange plastic items, even though Epril (and her sister Susan, who is acting as our maid) beg me for just something bright. I'm sticking with black and polished steel, thank you.

I bought a little kiddie pool, and have put it up on the balcony overlooking the valley below, and filled it with water. It's hot here... so hot. A nice little tub of water to splash around in is just the thing. I'm thinking about setting out some potted plants, a table and some candles, and making a little jungle setting to hang out in while I soak.

Our first neighbors to the left of us are a French fellow, Serge, and his wife, Marisol, and there is a British guy also on our left whom I haven't met yet. The house immediately to our right is empty, and another one down the row is for rent if anyone is interested.

I'm trying to establish a rapport with the local bird population by putting out bread crumbs... I'll keep you updated on that part.

I'm working out of my friend Mike's office for the time being while I wait for the cable internet to be installed in the house. My work computer arrived broken, but fortunately the computer technicians in Mike's office jiggled and prodded and reseated the various bits and pieces inside of my computer, and it unbroked itself back to functionality.

I'm a little too busy to blog right now: I've got to catch up on the work I missed over the past 5 days and I've got to furnish a new house. So, have some patience while I get settled in. I'll be getting back to normal, and also fixing the sorry appearance of this blog in the near future.

6 comments:

Mike Turner said...

handcuffs indeed!

i guess pinoy girls are bit more kinky than their thai counterparts



how much is the house down the road, and is it as nice as yours?

01 Lightning said...

I will be interested to hear about this new location! NNN

Issarat said...

JIL,
Congratulations on your big move; I wish you the best.

BE CAREFUL of this guy "STAR", he posts on Brunty's page and talks about BJ's with underage students and really makes a virus of himself. It may be Harris Black in another form.

Tell Epril I said hello and talk to you soon buddy.

Jil Wrinkle said...

Star: I assume it is a little less than my own house because the yard is smaller and it is currently unfurnished/unfinished.

Lightning: Keep an eye out here. I'll be putting up daily reports.

Issarat: Thanks for the good wishes. Don't worry about commenters. The only rule I have on my blog is not to be rude, insulting, or nasty. (My mother is a reader, remember.)

Nancy Molden said...

Glad to hear you made it there in one piece! :)

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading of your first few days in CDO,keep us up to date. Tks. Mickey