Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Best Cooking Show On Television

I've fallen instantly in love with Good Eats.

Finally, a cooking show that actually teaches you how to cook... instead of just what ingredients to throw on the stove to achieve a desired meal. (Yes, the show has been on the air for years... and I am just discovering it now. If you haven't heard of it before, read on. If you have, allow me to join you cognoscenti in it's praise.)

Seriously. This guy Alton Brown is providing culinary information that, for some reason, never occurred to anybody else to provide. A 30 minute program on knife skills? Now that's something I can use. I don't need to know how to make a truffle brioche... but tell me how to properly choose the best stew pot out of dozens of choices at the store, and you've got my attention.

And his lucubrations on food are the same thing: Last night, he explained the food called ham. The various kinds of ham, how to cook the various kinds of ham, how to carve ham, and clever little tips for making ham preparation easier. Brilliant stuff: Educational, entertaining, humorous, and totally worth watching.

I found some episodes online here on Fancast and here on YouTube.

The video below on cooking a porterhouse is the apotheosis of what this show is about



.

(Photo Credit: Studio Chambers)

No comments: