Sunday, June 8, 2008

Daily Report: Murphy's Weekend

I suppose if life needs to suck for a certain period of time, one might as well cram it all into a weekend and get it over and done with.

On Saturday, my cable internet was down for the entire day. (It was only mid-morning when I noticed that the cable company had sent out a text message by mobile phone to all of their customers the night previous, alerting them to the outage.)

With an obligatory day off work, Epril and I decided to go out to the village to visit with the family and have a swim. Unfortunately the battery on my motorcycle was dead, limiting the range of our wanders to whatever cab fare we were willing to part with.

On Sunday morning the electricity was shut off (with a fair-enough 3-day advance warning posted at the front gate of our housing development) for 2 hours, from 6:00 to 8:00 a.m. I managed to get in 3 hours of work or so before the cable internet went back out again, and stayed out for the day. At 6:00 p.m., the power went off for another pre-planned 2 hours. At 8:00, the power came back on... along with the internet.

Susan was going to take a trip this weekend to visit a gentleman suitor, but that fell through, which hurt her feelings. One of Epril's cousins passed away up in Leyte as well... something to do with eating a seed.

So, anyway, here's hoping that this coming week will be an improvement over the ramshackle that was this weekend.

6 comments:

Steve Loeding said...

Yep - when it rains, it pours. Hopefully you can say it can't get worse (though we all know it can). I think you're done with the bad luck for a while.

Tom Nixon said...

Are back-up generators inexpensive enough that you could purchase one so that when power goes out elsewhere, it doesn't go out for you?

Jil Wrinkle said...

Tom,

I'm not sure really. I think the first question is how much electricity to I need? How big a generator to I need? How long does it have to run for?

I think that a UPS system to keep my computer functional for 10 minutes (a fair while for most UPS systems) would be about $100. Stretching that into an hour or so would probably get much more expensive.

DAGO said...

I have my whole house set up in Ga to run off of a 3000 w generator.
Seems like that motorbike is always breaking down.

Jil Wrinkle said...

How much does a 3,000 Watt generator cost, and how large is it?

Yes, that motorbike is indeed always breaking down. Anybody who asks, I will gladly admit to the fact that I got ripped off.

DAGO said...

I cant remember but they are a few hundred bucks depending on the brand. They are pretty small, like the ones you see on construction sites. I cant turn everything on at once, and I dont have an electric stove or hot water heater. I have a gas stove and oil heats my house and hot water(not econimical anymore)That was done by design because I am in the Smokey Mountains and we have been known to get some severe storms and long power outages. A cheap way to hook them up is to make a double ended male plug and plug it into a dryer outlet MAKING SURE THE MAIN IS OFF and the generator gets plugged in secondly. I have a transfer switch hooked up between my meter and panel.
I will be experamenting with hydrogen generators when I go there or Pattaya in a few more months.